Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Sleeper and the Yeller on the 6

On my way home from a long night this past Sunday morning, a  dude gets on the train and after a minute of nodding off he decides to lay down and sleep. The train pulls into 125th street and this couple boards the train and the man yells out "Call the Cops" waking the dozing man.

The sleeper gets up and asks the yeller what his problem is. To which the yeller says he has no problem. Sleeper says "Why you got to wake me up by yelling" It seems like the issue is squashed as sleeper lays back down. 

A few minutes later, sleeper sits up and starts to "sing" loudly to a raggae song that seems to be playing through his headphones. At random points sleeper looks at yeller and asks him if he has a problem. Yeller continues to answer that he doesn't. Sleeper sings a lyric that tells about someone who disrespects him and pays the price. Most times I'd say that it is only shit being spoken but I have to admit that Sleeper seem to be a real tough customer. A real scrapper. Sleeper bow starts to pace within the train car like a caged animal causing everyone on the car to look at each other cautiously but quickly. 

The train pulls in at Longwood Avenue and Yeller and his lady get up and Sleeper approaches them. I swear a collective psychic "Here it comes" is uttered by the passengers on the train, including myself. But here is the climax to the story. Sleeper tells Yeller to be careful on who he disrespects on a train. Yeller responds that he meant no disrespect towards Sleeper. Both guys shook hands and Sleeper sat back down to catch some more zzzz's. 

I know, not the ending you would expect at 5am on the Bronx bund 6-train. Hey, I have to admit, I'm proud of Sleeper. He took the high road when I thought that he would take the low road. Guess you really can't judge a book by it's cover. 

FH

1 comment:

Brigette said...

Initially, I thought," what happend to my poor baby now".. There's always some drama somewhere for this poor mans commute. I was pleasantly pleased with the outcome of your travels.
There seems to be some humanity left in the world.