Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Mob Boss Lives In Parkchester

I'm waiting at the Parkchester station waiting for the Downtown 6 train when this older black man wearing a tan trench-coat does his his best to get my attention. Grudgingly I take my headphones off and listen to what he has to say. Here goes the brief exchange:

"You live around here?" He says
"You can say that" I respond. The man points toward the Parkchester housing development and says:

"You live in Parkchester?" I shake my head to indicate that I don't. He continues:

"You see Parkchester there? It's corrupt. The mob boss lives there and runs the place. If you don't work with him, you get ran out of there"

I try to remain as serious as I can when I answer: "I didn't know that. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in Parkchester" 

"Yes. Do." he retorts with a grave face. 
"Are you from New York?" He adds. I answer in the affirmative with a nod to which he responds "I'm from South Florida" and he continues down the platform to the end.

Well, that solved one of the questions I had on my bucket list. Now I know where the mob boss lives. He's in Parkchester. Splendid!! I wonder if he has one of those apartments similar to the one my sister has in Parkchester. Maybe he has deluxe accommodations. 

You would think that I would pose an intimidating figure while waiting for the train. Maybe I should have left the stash instead of shaving it. Gotta love NYC.

FH

No comments: