Saturday, February 20, 2010

Tiger Woods and the Media

So Tiger Woods made his first public appearance to apologize for the whole affair situation. I've said since day one, the only people who should have been interested in this situation was his family and again, the only people he needs to apologize to are his family. Not the media and not the public, only his family. To me, the media jumped on this story like the pack of jackals that they often show themselves to be. I know some say that since Tiger is a public figure all bets are off. To that I say BULLSHIT. He's still a human being whose kids had to deal with the throngs of photographers taking continued pictures of them. They get scared as any kids would when surrounded by a crowd. I know mine would. So with that in mind, a certain part of his speech stood out to me. Here it is:

I have always tried to maintain a private space for my wife and children. They have been kept separate from my sponsors, my commercial endorsements. When my children were born, we only released photographs so that the paparazzi could not chase them. However, my behavior doesn't make it right for the media to follow my 2.5-year-old daughter to school and report the school's location. They staked out my wife and they pursued my mom. Whatever my wrongdoings, for the sake of my family, please leave my wife and kids alone.

Tiger's right. No matter how many women he slept with behind his wife's back, the bloodthirsty behavior by the media towards his family is unacceptable. Didn't the paparazzi learn from the death of Princess Diana? Didn't they learn of the dangers that can come from following someone excessively? The problem is that the media is selfish, only looking at their by-line and nothing more. Let people live and deal with their issues and problems on their own. Billions have done so without media intervention for centuries. Just report the news that needs to be reported.

No comments: