Sunday, December 7, 2008

Homeless and something I've never seen in the train

So when its freezing out in the big city like it is tonight, I often wonder how those without a place to live survive on the streets when it gets this cold. The train I just got on to go to work seemed to have a homeless person in each car. I know that some of them smell but I rather see them warm and safe on the train and/or the platform than frozen on the streets. Anyone who complains should try to last a night like tonight on the streets.

So keeping with the homeless theme though in a much lighthearted tone yesterday (Saturday) I saw something that I have never seen before on the subway. Being a native of NYC I've seen some real funky stuff on the Subway, but this had to be a first for me.

So, I'm riding the train to work (early for a change) and this homeless guy gets on the train and starts asking for money. Nothing new there. A woman gives him a small bag of pretzels which he proceeded to eat. Again, nothing new. So he finishes them, gets up and moves on through to the next car via the emergency doors. I pay him no mind. Here where the story grows.

A few stops later, a guy who (I guess) works for Bed Stuy EMS (That's what the back of his shirt and hat said) is traveling through the car I'm in and attempts to use the same emergency doors that the homeless guy went through and found that he couldn't open the door. He bangs on the glass and the door opens. I turn to see what was happening since I heard banging and what do I see on the floor when the door opened: A Turd. The homeless dude squatted down and dropped a duece in between cars while the train was moving. We had just pulled into 86th Street so the train was filling up.

Hey, I give the guy credit. I wouldn't be able to squat down between cars while the train was traveling 4 stops while dropping a turd. And (I assume as I didn't see him) he kept his balance the whole time. That takes skill folks.

The EMS guy starts yelling at the homeless guy to clean his sh*t up and asks him WTF he was doing. The homeless guy shrugged and said calmly "I had to go". He kicked his deposit into the tracks and got off the train rather nonchalantly. I couldn't stop laughing and the EMS guy gave me a dirty look before he also started laughing. What could you do. When you gotta go, you gotta go. And on that note, I bid thee farewell.

Later
FHJ

1 comment:

mary f said...

Oh I feel so bad. Poor guy! Yes where was he expected to go? EMS guy of all pople screaming at him. Please. Yes, the homeless do dishearten people at times. Tell it to the fools on the R train who make fun of them and laugh out loud! That pissed me off!