Thursday, August 9, 2012

In Boston Part II

Sharon was right when she told me on FB that the atmosphere around Fenway before the game was a blast. It was. You had kids playing catch with a performer on stilts, brass band musicians, face painters and balloon clowns could all be found entertaining the Red Sox Nation. The two New York teams could stand to learn a lesson here on providing for fun entertainments BEFORE entering the stadium aside from beers at Stan's and the Yankee Tavern.

Now to be honest, the closest that I have ever been inside a stadium like Fenway was Wrigley back in 1999. Fenway evokes a sense of history and intimacy that is lost in the new parks no matter how "retro" they build them. My reaction at walking through the dark tunnel into the bright daylight and seeing that beautiful field of bright green grass and dark brown dirt was akin to what it was the first time I did the same at old Yankee Stadium.

Even with the recent improvements the Red Sox have done with Fenway, there is no denying its place as the grand-daddy of all Baseball Stadiums. Let's compound that with the seats we had.

Harper said the tickets were a gift. Well folks, that was one helluva Birthday gift he got. Sec 30, Box D73 Row 2. ROW 2!!!!!! Right behind third base a few boxes away from the Texas Rangers dugout. Insane. Made even better when the family seated in front of us left and we moved on up to the 1st Row causing a chain reaction of people behind us upgrading their own seats just like the good old days at old Yankee Stadium I've had good seats including 8 rows behind home plate of old Yankee Stadium but those were nothing like these.

The stadium seemed cosy and I know people talk about the obstructed sight lines due to the exposed beams from the old construction (new stadiums have modern methods of construction which provide for clear sight lines). It really is a way that a Baseball game should be watched and enjoyed. Plus the company of Harper, Megan and Dan only made it better. Thanks guys.


The game itself was a high scoring 10-9 affair that was an exciting roller coaster ride won by the Rangers. I guess technically I'm 5-0 for the season. ;) Sorry, had to get that dig in. LOL. I can see why Fenway is an imposing place to play for visiting players. Everything seems like you can reach out and just touch it with your fingertips. Simply amazing. I truly felt like a little kid out there. I told Harper at one point: To get a week to live like those guys on the field. The dream of becoming a professional Baseball player never dies, even here at my fast approaching 40-years old. It's why in my opinion, Baseball is the greatest team game in the world.

After the game we rushed back to the hotel where Harper and co. were staying and cabbed it back with them to South Station. Since I had a reservation for Amtrak at 9:30pm, I decided to head back to Fenway to get some souvenirs. Now here is where NYC separates itself from other cities.

The bars and restaurants were still open with post-game drinkers and diners. But all the team shops were closed. It was barely 7pm and the game wasn't even 2 hours old. So that made getting stuff a little difficult. I don't think that I would have had that problem around Yankee Stadium. Luckily for me I just started to walk in the direction of Boston Commons and remembered that Boylston is a very busy street with many restaurants and shops. Very trendy. Wish I had a street like that in my neighborhood. But I digress. Harking back to my San Francisco trip of last October, I remembered that Walgreens sold tourist items. And why do I see approaching me as I walked but a Walgreens with Boston hats and shirts in the window. The day was saved somewhat. You guys didn't really think I was going to buy Red Sox gear for the momma-san and kids. The got Boston city shirts and other knickknacks.

I finished my Boston excursion with dinner and a few cocktails at Clarke's in South Station. It was a very nice and cosy pub whose food was substantial and prices very reasonable. I highly recommended.

Finally I boarded the train at 9:20pm for the long four and a half hour ride back to the city so nice they named it twice: New York, New York. Off the train rocked to a Jazzy, Mambo and R&B playlist courtesy of my iPod.

Until next time Boston. You were wicked fun. Peace.

FH

- Click Here for my brief Epilogue bringing my Boston trip adventure to a close

No comments: