Saturday, March 19, 2011

Teachers Should Return to Their Roots

This past Wednesday was a bit of a throwback day for me. Gaby's teacher, Ms. Aguilar gave my son a talking to based on the way he's been treating his sister. Like I told Briggy, if I was someone else, I might have taken issue with it. She wasn't rude to the boy, but she was stern, forceful and when he wasn't looking straight at her, she made him look at her.

Some parents today would have taken exception with how she went about talking to him. See, I was raised to treat your teachers as if they were your parents. You treated them the same way that you would treat your own parents, if not better. In today's environment where teachers are being maligned for the job that they are hired to do, I feel that some teachers hesitate from being that authority figure that they need to be. You hear the stories of parents being abusive, and even getting physical with teachers for doing their jobs in trying to educate their kids.

I'm glad Ms. Aguilar spoke to my son the way she did. Most teachers need to be strict when needed as most parents also need to be strict. I find that kids today are a bit more reckless due to a lack of discipline both at home and at school.

I would have never dreamed of doing what some of these kids do today. My dad's grocery store was in walking distance of my High School and a number of the teachers would frequently stop there. Not only that, if anyone in the neighborhood saw me doing something inappropriate, I would have been ratted out in an instant. There was no way that my dad wouldn't have found out. I guess the saying is true: It takes a village to raise a child.

No comments: