Sunday, November 6, 2011

I Got Kicked Out of the Bar For Being Honest

Our bar is not necessarily a place where stealing occurs. As with any bar stealing can happen but its rare at our location. What I do find that tends to go missing are darts. There's a reason why we charge a $10 dollar deposit to replace darts whenever they go missing. But the predicament gets compounded when private darts go missing. That's what happened tonight.

We have regulars who like to bring in their darts. Just like we have pool regulars who bring in their sticks. So tonight we had some regulars who in total had 3 sets of their own darts. They left their darts on the board and went out for a smoke. No biggie, right? Here comes the issue. This other guy who was playing next to them took the set he rented and brought the private darts thinking they were bar darts to rack up the deposit money.

When I saw that he took the private darts up to the bar, I told him that they were private darts and that he needed to pur them back where he found them. He walked back to the dart area and placed them on the rail. But as things work in this business, my "Spidey-Sense" went off. My gut told me things weren't as they seemed. 

I went outside and told the dart owners to go make sure all their darts were there. And as my gut instinct is very rarely wrong, there were a set of darts missing. As I go to approach who I believed took the darts, he walked over to the owner and returned the darts, which he had hidden in his pocket. 

Upon his returning of the disputed darts, I told the thief that he needed to get pay his tab, get his stuff and leave immediately. So he did and left leaving us with a little note on his credit card slip that said: I'm getting kicked out of the bar for being honest. No fool, you got kicked out for being a fucking thief. You were lucky you didn't take some other regular's darts who would have popped you in right in the mouth. The nerve of some people. To even think that returning the darts after placing them in his pocket makes it right and that he is the vicim here is just wrong. People are delusional.

FH

No comments: