Tuesday, November 15, 2011

To Like or Dislike Tim Tebow

I have asked this question a few times, both to myself and others. Why is Tim Tebow disliked and hated. I can probably say that it has to do with a few things. 

As the adage goes, nice guys finish last. In this case, it remains to be seen whether or not Tebow succeeds, people really seem to hate the guy because he's living the dream that we all would like to live. Allow me to elaborate. 

I hear that he's being given a chance rather than earning it since he doesn't have the necessary talent to play the position of Quarterback. He's overrated is another thing I hear about him. That remains to be seen. Who's to say that his way of playing the position is wrong. I thing people get to caught up in Pre-conceived notions of what a quarterback is. I also think people hate the kid because he's smart, eloquent, good looking, defined and shaped by his beliefs.

Tebow is a very strong believer in God. That is probably the big reason why he's hated. One gentleman I spoke to told me that he hated the fact that Tebow always seemed to mention God. His practice of taking a knee and giving thanks to God after a scoring play has been ridiculed by many including opposing players. But my thing is what's wrong with that. If Tebow was trying to preach from the Football field and pass judgments on others then maybe I can see some of the resentment. But the fact that he given praise to his savior shouldn't be a reason to hate the man. They are his beliefs. He's not the first athlete to praise God. He won't be the last. Remember Reverend Reggie White?

The way I see it, in this sports landscape of douchebags, dead beat dads, drug users and cheaters a person of Tim Tebow's character should be a role model rather than being vilified. He lives a clean lifestyle, spending much of his free-time helping those in his community and many within poor communities around the world. I guess most people today find it cool to love the "Bad guy" over the "Good guy". In the case of Tim Tebow, I hope he succeeds so he could shut up all those detractors and haters.

FH

- Click Here to access Austin Murphy's article You Gotta Love Tim Tebow from SI.com dated July 27, 2009

No comments: