Thursday, June 28, 2012

You Could Have Fit

What is the recording that the MTA has on their Public Service announcements: Courtesy is contagious and it starts with you. So what happens when you are courteous and are criticized for it. Here goes.

I was on line at Duane Reade and there was an older woman with a cane at the register. She finished and walked down the aisle way that I had to walk down to get to register. Since she was walking with her cane, I let her go by before walking to the register. As she walks by me, I hear here say under her breath: You could have fit. I stop at the register and look back at her where she loudly repeats her last statement in a defiant manner. To say that I was surprised would be an understatement. I was downright shocked. And to top it off, she had attitude towards me. Upset that I didn't walk past her. Maybe she thought I found her too fat to walk by her? Maybe I could have fit but that's not the point. I was just trying to be courteous.

I just shook my head and told her: I'm sure I could have fit but I was just letting you pass. I'm in no rush. There was no offense intended. She just turned and walked towards the door.

How do you like them apples. If I don't wait and walk by her I'd be rude if I made any contact. If I wait for her to pass I'm rude since I'm inferring by my non action that her and I could not fit down the aisle way. Que cojones.

Sometimes all you can do is shake your head and walk away.

FH

No comments: