Friday, February 25, 2011

Oh Sweet Astoria My Have You Changed

I went to Astoria on Wednesday to have the kids see grandma and decided to take a walk around the old neighborhood. I walked up Broadway to Steinway Street, down to 30th Avenue then back down. I have to say that I'm a little sad to see how much the neighborhood has changed. Gone are many of the stores that I visited as a teen and young adult on Steinway Street. Also gone are many of the small houses along 31st Avenue from my mom's block up to Crescent Street. In their place stands multiple dwelling buildings, while nice in appearance, seem to make the blocks seem much more cluttered. I'm not sad that there is progress. Progress is good but the sadness comes from the fact that I must have seemed like a tourist walking around looking at all the new buildings when I lived 26 years in Astoria. I guess Eric is right when he says things work in cycles. The scary thing for me is wondering what the next cycle will look like.

FH

1 comment:

2oodlez said...

I felt the same way when I went back to visit relatives still living in Astoria, gone is King Kullens on steinway and Steven's accross from it, the old diner i used to buy a cherry coke and pretzel from on the corner of broadway and steinway made into a outdoor cafe, Werners toy store the owners wife was my 3rd grade teacher i lived on 42nd st between 34th & 35th ave for 15 years same apartment my mom was born in. want to talk old times send me an email fukennutz1@gmail.com