Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sinus Headaches and the Law

I've had this recurring Sinus headache the last two days that feels as if someone has been punching me from the back of my nose and eyes. Let's say it is not a pleasant feeling. To combat the force of sinus evil, I decide to go to Duane Reade to pick something up.

As I arrive at the aisle where the cold medicine is located, I see empty shelves with slips of papers that have images of the products that I am looking for. It say to go to the pharmacist to get the items I need. So I do as the paper says and ask for the item. The pharmacist asks me if I have ID, which I produce and she asks me to fill out the log book. Wow, is it that serious with the Crystal Meth? I know it is pretty bad in the Midwest and on the West Coast but I didn't think it was bad here.

I did a little research and here is what I found out. The active ingredient in many chosen medicines (Pseudoephedrine HCL) can be used to manufacture methamphetamine. According to the website Addictionsearch.com:

In 1893, Methamphetamine or crystal meth was first developed from ephedrine. A chemist by the name of Nagayoshi Nagai was responsible for this creation. It wasn’t until 1919, that methamphetamine was turned into its crystallized form by Akira Ogata. Ogata was able to do this by reduction of ephedrine using iodine and red phosphorous. Amphetamine, which is a related drug, first came into existence in 1887 by a Lazar Edeleanu in Germany. Methamphetamine manufacturing initially began in the United States in Hawaii in the 1960s.

The article on their website called the History of Crystal Meth goes into more details about the history of drug and it's usage, so feel free to check it out. 

According to the above mentioned article:

In terms of crystal meth legislation, There have been five federal laws and many state laws written since 1989 in order to try to curb production of methamphetamine. Pseudoephedrine or ephedrine, sales have been restricted in order to reduce the amount of the main ingredient of methamphetamine available to the general public. The Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005 was written especially to combat the sales of pseudoephedrine and ephedrine that an individual may purchase in a specified time period. In addition, there are other requirements regarding storage of these products in order to prevent theft.

For more information on the Combat Methamphetamine Epidemic Act of 2005 and any amendments made to the law check out the US Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Division Office of Diversion Control website.

So that makes sense why I would have to show ID an sign a log to buy the meds. I just didn't think we'd get to that point. Like Mr. Mackey says on South Park: Drugs are Bad, mmmkay

For Further Reading:
- Click Here to access the US Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Division Office of Diversion Control website .
- Click Here to access the informative Addictionsearch website.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm surprised they didn't offer you a loving nutritious flu death jab.:)