Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Bye Bye Dunkin' Donuts at Parkchester

I try to not complain too much about people who work in the service industry since I work in the service industry. But there are times when I can't help myself. Like now.

Maybe I've been spoiled. At the Dunkin' Donuts near the Parkchester train station, there have been a few employees that I have been satisfied with. Before the renovation, try had young teens working the counter in the evening who were sharp at making what you ordered. Never an issue with repeating orders more than twice. Never an issue with getting your order wrong. Even recently, a few of the ladies who worked there were so good that I wouldn't even have to ask me what I wanted. I'd walk in and by the time I reached the register my coffee was ready. Alas it seems those days are gone. 

Last week I walked in and asked for my usual: large coffee, double cream, 1 splenda. Simple enough, right? Well, with the new batch of workers at DD, it wasn't that easy. I had to repeat the order 5 times and one last time when it was being made because I knew that they were going to screw it up since they had to remake it. I really like to support local businesses but not at the expense of not getting what I want. Perfect example, last night I poured a woman the wrong beer. What did I do? I didn't charge her and made sure I gave her the correct drink her next rounds. Accidents happen and anyone can have them. Well, after today, the jig is up.

I walked in with my kids to get them a few donuts and to buy a bag of ground coffee. Getting the donuts was fine, it's the coffee that threw a wrench into the gears. There were three workers behind the counter who looked like I spoke to them in Kryptonian when I asked for the coffee. Why? Well, apparently these three people had no idea how to ring in the bag of coffee into the register. After exchanging dumbfounded looks to each other and to me, one of them takes his "Smart-phone" and calls someone who proceeds to walk him through on how to enter the purchase. After 3 minutes on the smart-phone, which did not transfer any smarts to it's owner, he still couldn't enter the coffee into the register. To which I told him to never mind. I took the three to task as to how they can work alone without being properly trained and without any  management. Mismanaged was the term I used. What asked where their manager was, they sheepishly told me that he had just left. Right, and I have a bridge to sell if you are interested. 

I'm sorry to say that I will not be frequenting that particular location any longer. You might think I'm being a bit extreme but I love to have a cup of coffee on the way to work. I love my coffee and hate to settle for less. It's quite simple really. Now I will have to be take my business to Au Bon Pain and Starbucks which are both located in Parkchester. Au revoir DD. It was nice knowing you. Maybe when you get your act together, I'll come back.

FH

No comments: