Saturday, August 27, 2011

Is It Really Wise to be Drunk During a Hurricane?

I have to say that I am really astonished that so many people that I know through Facebook are actually drinking and getting drunk with the impending arrival of Hurricane Irene. I mean think about it folks, wouldn't you  like to be at your peak mentally and physically when the shit hits the proverbial fan?

Maybe the weather isn't "hurricane-like" but do you really want to be hungover when it does show up? I know how my hangovers can be, and let me tell you, I can barely get up to go to the bathroom when hungover let alone possibly being told to evacuate in a crisis situation.

I know some of you will say: Well, you work in a bar. Yes, I do. I've done so for 15 years or so and I have been serving drinks "professionally" for the last three months. I say "professionally" in a general sense since I am no way near being a professional bartender. Amateurish sure but I'm taking my baby steps to the next level. But I digress. 

Those of you who really know me can attest to the fact that I have always been conflicted with people who drink and those who are drunk. Maybe it has to do with having a father who drank too much and seeing myself walk down that same path. Who knows what really goes on in this big old noggin' of mine. But I do think that getting piss drunk and hanging out on a rooftop or on a beach/shoreline or in an area that is deemed to be hazardous due to potential flooding while "waiting" for the hurricane to show up is a bad idea. Do I think the media is playing things up? Sure do. Why? Who the fuck knows. Ratings? All I can think about is that in optimal survival situations, being impaired by drugs, alcohol or any other type of impairing agent is not a good idea. 

Maybe I am acting older than my 38 years say I am. Maybe I feel that my time here on this little mudball is limited and I want to enjoy it to the fullest. Maybe I want to be here for my family and not be the jackass that gets drunk, crashes his car and runs round drunk in a potential Category 1 or higher Hurricane. In the end, like I told my wife earlier: There's so much that we can control. And I can't control how people are going to act. 

Don't be surprised if the next time you pop into the bar and ask me to do a shot and I politely decline. I think the best way to do something that I can control is by doing it by example instead of sitting here bitching about it while I'm bored at home. LOL. Sisco's off the sauce for an undetermined period of time. I'll get off of my soapbox now. May you all be safe out there during the next few days.

FH

No comments: