Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hey Mother Nature You Trying to Tell Us Something?

Is Mother Nature trying to tell us something? Between last Wednesday's minor earthquake here in NYC and the impending arrival of Hurricane Irene, we have an unprecedented one-two punch of nature's fury. The last time that I remember a hurricane causing this kind of panic in the NYC area was either Hurricane Gloria in 1985 and/or Hurricane Bob in 1991. Luckily for me, I don't read into these natural events as being a sign of something to come. But is it? Could it just be that it's a coincidence that these natural occurrences have happened at the same time? Will it be as bad as the media and politicians are making it seem to be?

I mean the NYC Public Transit system is slated to be shut down at noon on Saturday night. The only time I can remember the entire system being shut down is during the last two transit strikes. Even during the blackouts and on 9/11 there was service (with the buses). Is it a "knee jerk" reaction? I believe it could be especially with the Mayor of NYC Michael Bloomberg. His public approval rating dropped significantly after this past winter's blizzard and lack of a coordinated effort by the City in snow clean-up. Maybe it's better to err on the side of caution.  I guess we'll just wait and see what happens. May everyone be safe during the next few days.

FH 

No comments: