Sunday, August 28, 2011

Post-Hurricane Irene

Here we are the day after Irene and the winds are still whipping around us. At least the rain has stopped which means that those areas that have flooded will have a chance to have the waters recede. So how did the storm affect me.

To be honest, gladly the storm didn't hit as was predicted. Staying up all most of the night watching movies on Netflix (Iron Man 2, Fire and Ice and Operation: Barbarossa) and drinking coffee, I have to admit that the rain and wind were quite soothing. That's easy for me to say since I live on the top floor of a private house and didn't experience any flooding or power outage. The worst thing of the storm was some broken branches, leaves and a lack of cable TV.

All in all, I believe that the administrations of Mayor Bloomberg and Governor Cuomo did the right thing by shutting down the MTA. Even though I still believe that it was a "knee-jerk" reaction (to Mayor Bloomberg's bad handling of the blizzard last winter) to the storm, I would hate to imagine how bad it would be with the tunnels flooded in Lower Manhattan and passengers stuck on trains, as well as, cars being at the mercy of high winds on the bridges. Already there is limited bus service and hopefully full service will be restored by the time I have to go to work tomorrow night. I'm just glad that (as far as I know) everyone that I know came out of this safe. Back to the daily grind tomorrow.

FH


No comments: